Monday, December 21, 2009

SNOW!!!


What a wild n' crazy week before christmas this has been in Jamaica, NYC. This week I have been the coldest I can ever remember, but yet a number of amazing things still happened. On Monday night it started getting cold so I was sure grateful for my jacket and gloves but by Wednesday, it was bitter cold. We have been really lucky this year because the cold came later on in the year then normal, but it is trying to make up for it.
On Saturday we woke up and hear that it was going to snow and we were pretty excited, but little did we know it was going to snow more then a foot. It made for an amazing Saturday. One of the people we are working with is a man named Steven. He is Jamaican and just moved to NYC a couple of months ago. We were talking with him when it started to snow, and so he wanted to run outside and just play in it, so we did. It was so cool to see how excited he was, for something that can seem kind of inconvienient. He looked over at us, and said, "brothers, this is a miracle from God" He helped me realize that it was a miracle.
Chruch in NYC was cancelled except in Jamaica. Our Bishop doesnt cancel church for anything, so we enjoyed a very small sacrament meeting and 2nd and 3rd hour classes. We had around 20 people of the average 80 show up, so it was pretty cool to get personally connected to some members.
We had a load of sucsess this week with talking to people on the buses too. People just seemed much more willing to talk to us when we started by talking about Christmas. It was cool to get to meet alot of people and share the message of the restoration.
We also went caroling as a zone on friday and had alot of sucsess and enjoyed getting alot of people's interest, and alot of leads to people to teach.
The most exciting news is Nerissa, our Investigator, is going to be baptized on the 27th. It is exciting to see the progress she has made very quickly, and it will be an exciting week for her! So sweet!
Now for the Christmas Q's:Christmasy Questions for Elder Sky????
1. How are you? How has your 2nd week in Jamaica been? Great! I love this area sooo much. At first I wasnt excited to move, but now Im very glad. There are so many amazing people here, and my companion is so awesome, its a great time to be a missionary.
2. What have you learned this week? I studied alot about Christ's teachings. Something that especially caught my attention was the parable of the prodigal son, and how it is connected to the atonement. I always felt bad for the prodigal son's older brother, but this week I realized that he hadn't been perfect, and because he wasnt willing to see his own sin, he wasnt able to enter in to his Father's home. We have all sinned, and all need to recognize our weakness before the Lord and repent, and be allowed to ented in to our Father's home.
3. Does your companion speak Spanish? Nope, but he is a genius, he is 20 and has already attended BYU-I for 3 years and has studied Chinese, Ancient Greek, Arabic and RUSSIAN! He is pretty freaking sweet.
4. Did your package ever get to you? Christmas cards? Distribution order? 12 days of Christmas? Yes, yes, and YES! They we so sweet, thank you soo much. Y'all are amazing.
5. What are your plans for Christmas Day? Any idea what time we can call you or will you call us or how will it work? I dont know yet but I will let you guys know before Thursday. Im guessing it will probably be in the early afternoon here, so like noonish there. We will see. Our plans are up in the air.
6. You mentioned you had an investigator with baptism plans, how is that coming along? Great. We are all set for next Sunday, so things are looking great.
7. Can you tell us about your new ward? It is the Jamaica Ward. It is filled with Recent Converts. The ward is entirely people from the Carribean, except our Bishop, who is from Jamaica. We have about 80 people come to church on Sunday, and it functions pretty well. The members are way and always offer to help out.

At this Christmas Season, Im so glad to have the chance to know who Christ is, and more then that, to understand what it means that He died for us. I have loved singing christmas carols all week, and am excitied to go caroling more this week. I love the spirit of the season and just wish it could last all year round.
And Thankyou so much for the first 8 days of the 12 days of christmas. I love my tree, CD, Creche, amazing chex mex, pillow case, T-shirst, choclate orange, and brownie mix. It makes the cold days alot warmer when you get to go home and open a new present each day. Thanks for everyone who helped with that. I love y'all more then I love brownies, which is a ton.

Sly,
Elder sky tee'o

1 comment: