Monday, December 28, 2009

My Russian Christmas Miracle!


Hello family! I saw a poster at a bus stop for a new movie with Harrison Ford and Breandan Frasier, I think its called Extraordinary Measures, or something along that line. Anyways, on the poster it says if your looking for miracles, then make one. Well I can say this week I was looking for a miracle, and we received and amazing Christmas miracle.
So the story starts on Christmas day. After making the phone call home, and talking to the family, I got a text message of a referral, a Russian couple, Alexander and Yelena, from Missionaries in the ward that is directly next to ours. I called and they said they were busy until Sunday night, but would be happy to meet with us then. I was so excited to have spoken to a Russian person, that on Saturday and Sunday I was just counting down til Sunday night.
Finally we got on the J/Z train, and headed to this apartment building. The first thing I noticed as I walked in the door was the names on the building register. They were Russian names. Now many of you may not know, but here in Jamaica there are not many Russians, but to see a whole apartment building filled with Russians, I was as excited as it gets, to say the least. The couple buzzed us up, and they had the door open as we walked off the elevator. They were the nicest and warmest Russians I have meet in along time. Although Im not a Russian, it felt like a homecoming for some reason. We sat down and discussed how they had heard about the church.
It turns out on a trip out west they stopped at Temple Square and the missionaries got the information and sent it to NYC. They had no idea that they lived 6 blocks away from the same church in Utah. They were really excited. Neither of them have a religious background, but they both were very warm and receptive in the lesson. It was probably one of the strongest lessons I have witnessed on my mission. They are both excited to read and learn from the Book of Mormon. Im not sure what will happen, but it was truly a miracle for me here in Jamaica, Queens. The Lord knows us and knows what we need and he delivers amazing miracles to us right when we need them.
And that is only one miracle. Nerissa Benny was baptized yesterday, and it was great. The spirit was strong and her non-member dad came and enjoyed the baptism. He was excited about coming to church when we talked to him later on. She is an amazing convert though, and when she bore her testimony at the end of the baptism, it was moving, and everyone there could feel the spirit bearing witness that the church is true!
Christmas day was also amazing. We got feed by Nerissa and her family for lunch, and then we went to the Mike family at night. Brother Mike is an amazing member who I have gotten really tight with in my first few weeks here.
The internet here is working a little weird so I cant open emails, but Im hoping that this will send.
I wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas, and I hope everyone is excited for 2010! This decade has flown bye really fast, and I can hardly believe it is already over. Lets all resolve to do a little better and be a little stronger this year.
I love y’all,
Sly,
Elder skyler t.h.i.o.t

1 comment: