Monday, December 14, 2009

Jamaican Good Times!


Right now for the first time on my mission, I am writing my email from the Queens public library, here in beautiful Jamaica. The weather today is a huge improvement over the cold and damp weather we had this weekend, so I am pretty happy.
Getting adjusted to a new area has not been easy, but has been an adventure that I am glad I finally get to take. This has been the longest week of my mission though, its is kind of like leaving home all over again, but I am way excited to be in such a sweet area and to be serving around some amazing missionaries.
So my companion is Elder Merrill from Rexburg, ID. He has been out for 14 months, and is an awesome missionary. Me and him are getting along really well and Im really excited to be serving with him! He is such an amazing guy. He is the main reason Im so excited about being in Jamaica.
The area here is sweet. The only white people here are me and my comp. And Im not even exaggerating. Almost everyone is from Jamaica(The Island) and Haiti. It is really cool to get on a bus ad realize how diverse this place is. Its such a different experience then Brooklyn.
Geographicaly, our area is alot smaller then in Brooklyn, and people are more spread out. Here people actually have small houses instead of living in apartments. Thankfully the streets are all done on a grid like SLC, so it is pretty easy for us to navigate around, but are still having to get used to new buses and trains.
Its crazy to think Im still in the same city, because Queens is just so different. The apartment here is really nice too, and alot bigger then the old one, we actually have a kitchen table, its sweet. And the Ward is so awesome. They were really easy to start talking too, but learning there names is going to take a while because I am so used to Bensonhurst.
Anyways, we got blinded into the pool, so we are trying to get some things started, and we actually have a investigator who we think should get baptized on the 27th, so I will keep you updated, but we are very excited about them!
I cant even tell you how excited I am to be here, it is such a sweet place.
I feel kind of lost without any questions to answer, so I will just say that I am sooooo happy here, and excited for this season we are celebrating. In District Meeting on Friday, we read from Luke 2, and it just reminded me of my last 21 chrsitmases at home and how great the family is to have at this time, and thankfully I am finding a whole new ward family here in Jamaica.
Before I got my call, I have a dream I was going to get called to Jamaica, so now 2 years after recieveing my call, who would have guessed I would have actually ended up in Jamaica, so sweet.
I Love y'all, and since I got transfered, Im not going to be able to get my family christmas presents sent home, since they are still in Brooklyn, but you will defenitly get them in May, so sorry about that.

/ly
elder /ky t-o

1 comment:

  1. How cool to have your dream come true!!! You will be awesome in Jamaica. Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete