
This week president called and let me know in advance that I am leaving Bensonhurst after nearly 11 months here. It was a hard call to get since I have loved the area so much and have put all my time and effort in the last 8 transfers to building up the ward. He told me I am heading to Jamaica Queens, which is a poverty stricken part of NYC. Almost the entire population is immigrants from the Carribean.
The ward there is pretty great though, and I'm excited for a new challenge, which is allowing me to not feel so down about leaving this area and ward family I love so much.
Another interesting thing is that since I got here in January, Sister KeVan, one of the sister missionaries in our ward, has been in Bensonhurst. And She got a call that she is coming to Jamaica too. So we are breaking alot of records, because we will end up spending over a year serving in the same ward together. Its pretty unbelievable and crazy, but she is really cool and reminds me alot of Tatia.
Anyway, this last week here has been tough but good. We had a number of investigators at church yesterday, and I got to say goodbye to 6 converts in the meeting. It was truly a sweet experience. I will miss this ward alot!
Now for the Q's and A's:
1. Did you get to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional last night? I loved it thinking that our whole family was watching it together, only spread apart. We did get to see it, and it was amazing. I love President Monson so much, and President Uchtdorf's talk was really great. But my favorite part was the singing and playing by the motab and orchestra at temple square. They are amazing. I love Handel's the messiah.
2. What happened this week that you were totally not expecting? Getting transferred! I did not see it coming, it felt like i got blindsided on that one.
3. What do you know about the Queens’s area in your mission? Is there a population of Russian people there too? I dont think there are too many russians. President is sending me there for other reasons, so my Russian language is currently on hold, for the time being.
4. How do you get there? Trains? Bus? Van? We will ride a train to the mission office tomorrow morning, and then take a train to Jamaica.
5. How do you feel about the transfer? Mixed. Excited and disappointed. I cant be too mad because I feel extremly lucky to have lived here for so long.
6. I was wishing you might by some luck know your new address. I’ve got the 12 days of Christmas and some Christmas cards ready to send your way, where should I sent them? Send them to the mission office for now, that should work, since I wont be too far from the office.
Its defenitly a bitter sweet feeling getting transferred, especially right before christmas break. But Im also excited for all the new opportunities in store for me in the new area. Today is going to involve alot of packing since I havent had to do that in a long time, and I have accumilated alot of "stuff." Oh well, Im hoping it will all fit on the train! I love y'all!
sly,
T.O. elder
The ward there is pretty great though, and I'm excited for a new challenge, which is allowing me to not feel so down about leaving this area and ward family I love so much.
Another interesting thing is that since I got here in January, Sister KeVan, one of the sister missionaries in our ward, has been in Bensonhurst. And She got a call that she is coming to Jamaica too. So we are breaking alot of records, because we will end up spending over a year serving in the same ward together. Its pretty unbelievable and crazy, but she is really cool and reminds me alot of Tatia.
Anyway, this last week here has been tough but good. We had a number of investigators at church yesterday, and I got to say goodbye to 6 converts in the meeting. It was truly a sweet experience. I will miss this ward alot!
Now for the Q's and A's:
1. Did you get to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional last night? I loved it thinking that our whole family was watching it together, only spread apart. We did get to see it, and it was amazing. I love President Monson so much, and President Uchtdorf's talk was really great. But my favorite part was the singing and playing by the motab and orchestra at temple square. They are amazing. I love Handel's the messiah.
2. What happened this week that you were totally not expecting? Getting transferred! I did not see it coming, it felt like i got blindsided on that one.
3. What do you know about the Queens’s area in your mission? Is there a population of Russian people there too? I dont think there are too many russians. President is sending me there for other reasons, so my Russian language is currently on hold, for the time being.
4. How do you get there? Trains? Bus? Van? We will ride a train to the mission office tomorrow morning, and then take a train to Jamaica.
5. How do you feel about the transfer? Mixed. Excited and disappointed. I cant be too mad because I feel extremly lucky to have lived here for so long.
6. I was wishing you might by some luck know your new address. I’ve got the 12 days of Christmas and some Christmas cards ready to send your way, where should I sent them? Send them to the mission office for now, that should work, since I wont be too far from the office.
Its defenitly a bitter sweet feeling getting transferred, especially right before christmas break. But Im also excited for all the new opportunities in store for me in the new area. Today is going to involve alot of packing since I havent had to do that in a long time, and I have accumilated alot of "stuff." Oh well, Im hoping it will all fit on the train! I love y'all!
sly,
T.O. elder
We love you Elder T.O.! Good luck in your new adventures!!! -P&S
ReplyDeleteJamaica is one lucky city to have Elder Thiot on his way!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, finally a transfer! :) Well, it'll be fun.
ReplyDelete