Monday, February 1, 2010

FEBruiffic!


Hey! Wow, what an exciting week I have had here in Jamaica this week. We had some amazing miracles and I got some exciting news from Bensonhurst.
I will start with some of the amazing things that happened:
On Friday night we went to meet with one of our Haitian investigators, Smith. He hobbled into the lesson and told us that at work that day a large piece of machinery had fallen on his foot. As he shared the story, I was shocked he was sitting right in front of us. He said that when the machinery fell on him, he didn’t feel the full force of the hit, like something was lifting it up. Even though his foot was injured, from the size of the thing that fell on him, it could have easily led to much worse damage, and even amputation. But thankfully the Lord has guardian angels following these sweet people here in Jamaica.
Another miracle from this week was from Janet. Janet was having some health issues this week and called us last second to tell us he wasn’t going to be able to meet us at the church. So we were sitting at the church trying to figure out what to do when a man walked up and it was Jamaica Steve, the man who was playing in the snow 2 months ago.(in phot0) We hadn’t been able to meet with him for a couple of weeks but we had a powerful lesson with him, and he told us he is feeling ready to get baptized soon! He is soooo cool. I realized if Janet hadn’t been sick, we would have never been at the church, and wouldn’t have been able to meet with Steve. Janet is feeling a lot better now, but the Lord directs his work in amazing ways.
One of the highlights of the week was Sunday, when Jean was confirmed a member. The first counselor in the bishopric is Haitian and confirmed him in Haitian Creole. It was really cool, and the spirit was really strong. After church Jean was interviewed and he will receive the priesthood next week! He is growing in the church leaps and bounds, and a lot of the members were surprised to see him confirmed because they thought he was already a member.
Another bit of great news came from Bensonhurst. Phalles called me and told me that yesterday he gave his first talk in church. When I first meet him he was very quiet so for him to give a talk his huge. He also was called to be in the Young Men presidency in the ward! I am so excited for that man. He is a spritiual giant. Also, Phalles and Mendy are expecting a child! So they are very excited for the opportunities the Lord is providing them!
So many amazing things keep happening here! The mission is an experience that you cant get anywhere else.
I also wanted to give you an exciting story from the non-spiritual side of things. Elder Merrill and I play a game as we walk down the streets called kick the rubbish. Since there is so much garbage on the streets here we try to kick it through each others legs. It sounds pretty dumb to an outsider, but for us it is pretty fun and competitive. Anyway, this week we had an amazing occurrence. We were walking with the other missionaries (the trio) and Elder Merrill kicked an empty Dunkin Donuts cup in the air and I kicked it from mid air right between the legs of Elder Gibson, the missionary right in front of me. It was the first alley-oop in the history of kick the rubbish, and it was very impressive. The street was empty so Elder Merrill and I had an improtu celebration dance. It was pretty much amazing, but maybe you had to be there.

Now for the Q’s of the week!
Questions for Elder Sky
1. How are you? How was your week? I am great and the week was pretty much perfect.
2. Did you get your ward list with photo’s done, what a great idea and big undertaking. Its not done, but we got the first couple people done, so now its just a matter of finishing it up.
3. What’s your plan for Preparation Day today? I have no idea, we have to figure that out. It is way cold, so we need to find an indoor activity around here. There is not a gym in the chapel in Jamaica so its hard to find things to do.
4. How are your investigators doing? What about the Russian family you got a referral for? Our investigators are great. We have a lot of people progressing towards baptism, so it is exciting to see the fire in their eyes. It is so sweet. The Russian family is great, but having a hard time making to church because of work conflicts, but they are working on it.
5. Anything we can do for you? Nope, im pretty good.
6. Do you have any plans for Ground Hog Day tomorrow? I forgot that was tomorrow, lets pray he sees the shadow!
7. How was Jean’s confirmation? I LOVED seeing his photos, it made me smile. It was amazing.

Well, I am all out of time, but I love all of y’all, so stay cool! The church is true so don’t be afraid to tell people about the book of mormon. It is the greatest thing you can do for your friends.

love,
elder sky

1 comment:

  1. It seems every week is even better than the last!!!! What a great elder he is, I sure love taht guy!

    ReplyDelete