This was a wonderful week here in Southern Brooklyn! Despite the huge dip in the temperatures and rain the last four days, it was a great week. One of the best!
So many times this week I could see the influence of the Lord in the work going on here, and even see a number of miracles happen!
One of the highlights of the week was last night. Me and my companion where looking up a referral from a member in upstate. We walked into the building, and realized the door number didnt exsist. Feeling kind of down, I looked over at the door marked "3" and knocked. A man named Nicoli answered and I asked in english if he knew the person he was looking for. He quickly told me he can speak Russian. I immediatly reasked the question in Russian, and he looked at me, and asked me how I spoke Russian. He invited us in and I taught my best Russian first lesson from my mission. I didnt need to pause to think what I wanted to say, and when he asked me a quesiton, and understood every word he spoke. He asked if my parents where Russian, and then I told him I had just lived there for 3 months, and he looked at me and just said, "you sound like a russian." I was feeling really good while walking home, the gift of tongues is amazing!
Another highlight was on saturday we had a finding activity on the sidewalk right in front of the church. One of the sisters in the district is an artist, so we got some sidewalk chalk and she drew an amazing plan of salvation that was about 50 feet long. It was really sweet, and a ton of people stopped by and wanted to find out what it was. It was too cool. Pictures to come.
Now for the Q's and A's:
Questions for Elder Thiot
1. How are you Elder Thiot? How was your week and how’s your companion and Housemates? Perfect! So good, a little chilly, but it was was sweet. My comp is the perfecto companion. No complaints at all, and the two other elders are really cool, and easy to get along with.
2. What did you learn this week? When you trust in the Lord more then yourselves, that is when the miracles will happen.
3. Who did you meet that you will never forget? Nicoli. He is a super nice guy, and very humble and receptive.
4. Have you met any Russians from the Rostov area? Yes! Its probably about once a week Im talking to someone who is from the mission. Its really cool because I tell them I lived there, and they always want to find out more.
5. If you could live one hour over this week, which would it be and why? Russian sunday school class. We had an amazing class, and the spirit was really strong, and the investigators were bearing their testimonies.
6. Did your Conference Package ever arrive, I hope in time for conference? Did you get to wear your conference ties? Yes and yes! It was one sweet pckage.
7. Did your Preaching Fourth arrive attached to your 4th ward pumpkin? It came yesterday. It took about 13 days to arrive, but it was good to hear about the other elders.
Dad wanted me to tell you guys about the ward here. Im serving in the Bensonhurst ward. It is called Bensonhurst because that is the name of the neighborhhod that the chapel is located in. We have chinese, Russian, and English speaking members. Currently we have around 10 active Russian members, so we meet with english ward for Sacrament meeting, and then have a Russian sundayschool class, and then go back to combined for 3rd hour. It works really well, and the ward is great. We get more then a 100 people a week, but we are growing right now, its an exciting time down here.
I love y'all a ton! Thank you for all the prayers and support.
With all the love I can muster,
Elder skyler t.o...
So many times this week I could see the influence of the Lord in the work going on here, and even see a number of miracles happen!
One of the highlights of the week was last night. Me and my companion where looking up a referral from a member in upstate. We walked into the building, and realized the door number didnt exsist. Feeling kind of down, I looked over at the door marked "3" and knocked. A man named Nicoli answered and I asked in english if he knew the person he was looking for. He quickly told me he can speak Russian. I immediatly reasked the question in Russian, and he looked at me, and asked me how I spoke Russian. He invited us in and I taught my best Russian first lesson from my mission. I didnt need to pause to think what I wanted to say, and when he asked me a quesiton, and understood every word he spoke. He asked if my parents where Russian, and then I told him I had just lived there for 3 months, and he looked at me and just said, "you sound like a russian." I was feeling really good while walking home, the gift of tongues is amazing!
Another highlight was on saturday we had a finding activity on the sidewalk right in front of the church. One of the sisters in the district is an artist, so we got some sidewalk chalk and she drew an amazing plan of salvation that was about 50 feet long. It was really sweet, and a ton of people stopped by and wanted to find out what it was. It was too cool. Pictures to come.
Now for the Q's and A's:
Questions for Elder Thiot
1. How are you Elder Thiot? How was your week and how’s your companion and Housemates? Perfect! So good, a little chilly, but it was was sweet. My comp is the perfecto companion. No complaints at all, and the two other elders are really cool, and easy to get along with.
2. What did you learn this week? When you trust in the Lord more then yourselves, that is when the miracles will happen.
3. Who did you meet that you will never forget? Nicoli. He is a super nice guy, and very humble and receptive.
4. Have you met any Russians from the Rostov area? Yes! Its probably about once a week Im talking to someone who is from the mission. Its really cool because I tell them I lived there, and they always want to find out more.
5. If you could live one hour over this week, which would it be and why? Russian sunday school class. We had an amazing class, and the spirit was really strong, and the investigators were bearing their testimonies.
6. Did your Conference Package ever arrive, I hope in time for conference? Did you get to wear your conference ties? Yes and yes! It was one sweet pckage.
7. Did your Preaching Fourth arrive attached to your 4th ward pumpkin? It came yesterday. It took about 13 days to arrive, but it was good to hear about the other elders.
Dad wanted me to tell you guys about the ward here. Im serving in the Bensonhurst ward. It is called Bensonhurst because that is the name of the neighborhhod that the chapel is located in. We have chinese, Russian, and English speaking members. Currently we have around 10 active Russian members, so we meet with english ward for Sacrament meeting, and then have a Russian sundayschool class, and then go back to combined for 3rd hour. It works really well, and the ward is great. We get more then a 100 people a week, but we are growing right now, its an exciting time down here.
I love y'all a ton! Thank you for all the prayers and support.
With all the love I can muster,
Elder skyler t.o...
No comments:
Post a Comment