Monday, July 27, 2009

Yee-ha!



What a week! again! haha, I’m hoping this amazing streak of happiness isn’t wearing y'all down, but it is just how I’m feeling right now. Things here are really this good! I don’t know if any of you believe me, but the month of August is going to see a lot of good people enter the waters of baptism in Benson Hurst, Brooklyn! Very exciting.
First off, I wanted to tell you a kind of crazy-cool miracle that happened. I will call it the parable of the cell phone: As missionaries we get assigned a cell phone, and they give us the most durable phones you could imagine. I think they make it out of the same stuff they build tanks. So this week on Tuesday I was messing around with the phone during planning and dropped it and it hit the wood floor. Oops! I picked it up and the screen looked fine, no cracks, except the screen was BLANK! The phone was still fully functioning except no screen. So I quickly learned how to call people by trying to remember where they were in the address book. This worked pretty well, but I called the wrong people a lot. By Tuesday my compo was not very happy with me about it so, and wanted me to call the mission office and get a new phone. Being a missionary, and knowing it would cost 50 bucks to get a new phone, I kept trying to just use the broken phone. By Thursday, I was sending text messages with out being able to see what I was typing, but it didn’t work too well. I was getting pretty frustrated too. I tried everything I could to fix it, but nothing worked. Finally, on Friday we went to district meeting, and I pulled the phone out my pocket to check something (not remembering the fact it was broken), and started looking the info up. Then I realized the phone was working again!!!!
I know it sounds pretty hard to believe, but after 3 days, it just started working again. I had been praying every night to figure out a way to fix it, then all of the sudden, boom! It worked. I can’t explain it, but it helped us call an investigator who we wouldn’t have been able to otherwise, set up an appointment, and they came to church on Sunday! So miracles can happen where the Lord needs to them to happen. Plus I got to save 50 bucks, which is pretty nice too!
The same is true with us. We make mistakes and things can seem like no matter what we do, we are hopeless. But it is the moment when we put our fate in the Lord's hands, that we can see again! The Lord can do all things.
I’m sorry that story took a page to write but it was a really testimony strengthener for me! The rest of the week was just about as amazing. We had 7 investigators in church on Sunday, and a sister who hasn’t been to church in 10 years. It was such a sweet spirit present the whole time!!!!
Now for the Q's:

Questions for Elder T.O.
1. How are you Elder Sky? How was your week? great, and fantastic! Some many people are keeping the commitments we are leaving them, and that is the way to become converted to the gospel. Find out for your self by keeping commitments through reading and praying.
2. What happened this week that you are still amazed at? On Sunday, we were walking down the street in Brighton Beach and I heard someone yell, "He guys" and I turned around a woman was sitting on her porch. It turns out she was baptized 40 years ago, but has lost contact of the church, and hasn’t seen missionaries for years. The appointment we were walking towards cancelled, but I realized we weren’t going to that appointment for the person we thought we were.
3. How is your ward doing? How do they best help the missionaries? The ward is great. A lot of people moving in and out, but still very strong. Befriending the people who come to church is the best thing members can do for the missionaries.
4. How are your investigators progressing? Any baptisms on the horizon? Very well. I believe August will be a month when the water bill for the chapel will go up because the font will be getting filled so many times!
5. What are you studying in Preach My Gospel this week? Chapter 4. The spirit is so important in missionary work.
6. It’s time for Preaching Fourth, what would you like me to say about you? That I’m the happiest missionary in the whole flippin world. I feel bad for missionaries who don’t get to serve in brklyn.
While sitting here typing my letter, Malika, the Russian convert from January just called to give me some great news. We stopped by and gave her and her husband(not a member) a blessing because she was going to have a interview about whether she would be able to stay in America or have to go back to Russia. She just told me the interview was amazing! She says the words of the blessing were fulfilled, but I don’t know what I said, it was in Russian, and I don’t remember what I said, but she is very excited to be able to stay in the states! Wahoooo!
I love being a missionary, I wouldn’t trade it in for the world. Next Monday I will know if I’m getting a new companion or not, so I will make sure to let you know! I love y'all, and keep the faith! The church is true.

sly,
Elder sky win t.o.

No comments:

Post a Comment