Monday, May 17, 2010

Wait, It's May????










I have to admit something that makes me feel incredibly stupid, and out of touch. This morning I woke up and walked over to my daily calender to tear off the monday daily article(a christmas present from elder merrill) and I realized something that pretty much shocked me, its may. Did anyone else miss the memo? It feels like the time I found out its neaopalten ice cream and not napoelan flavored. Wow, so 17 days in, May has begun in NYC.
This was another great week filled with cool moments that will be hard to forget. I went on exchanges with the spanish missionaries on Staten this week and got to practice my espanoel. T would have been proud. We went finding on the ferry when I was with Elder Tyrrell(of riverton, ut fame) and ran into a man who was way nice. We had a great conversation and invited us to comeover and deliver a Finding Faith in Christ. but on saturday morning he called to tell me he had been told by his catholic priest not to let me into his house, so I could bring the DVD but we couldnt even talk. After much persuading, he decided we could come over, but after hanging up he called back a minute later and said we couldnt come. But the miracle was on Sunday he called to talk and find out more. Its funny to see how people behave around us here. This island is probably about 60-70% Roman Catholic, so we are frownded down upon more then in Brooklyn and Queens, but its providing cool opportunites to talk to people here. The local paper is gettting ready to do a story on us missionaries, so we are hoping it gets good publicity for the church here, we have our fingers crossed.
Wow, that was a long paragraph.
Sunday was a way good day too. We recieved alot of referalls from memebers, and the talks in sacrament meeting where focused on missionary work, pretty exciting fo show.
Questions for Elder Thiot…
1. How are you and how was your week? im doing way good, and the week was fantabulious.
2. What did you learn this week about listening to the still small voice? Talk to the people the spirit tells you too. Last night on the ferry I felt like i needed to talk to a man, and it turned out to be a super prepared guy from Coney Is. He should be meeting with the missionaries this week.
3. “When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.” What do you think President Benson meant by that? Do you agree? For sure, obedidence is a big part of missionary work. The key is not making obedience your only focus, but doing what your supposed to do, and obedience just follows that.
4. How are Natalie’s Mom and Grandma doing with the lessons? I loved seeing their picture, thanks! They are doing way good. They feed us some homemade fried chicken this week then we had a good lesson. It was a good way to spend a thursday night.
5. What was your best meal of the week? (spiritual or physical) See question 4. Although we also had some good homemade stromboli from the allens, and some great chilli from the amorinios.
6. Anything you need? Did your flash drive arrive? got the flash drive so now I have everything I could need, thank you a ton!

So this week a 70 is coming to nyc to tour our mish and give a fireside so we are going to be in queens alot this week, so that will be way cool, and at the zone conference on thursday, all of my comps, howells, oliva, wright, grimm, merrill and kosaka will all be there, so it will be cool to rememeber the good times of the last 15 months here in new york.
the church is true, even in new york city.
stay classy,
elder t chan (my chinese nickname in the mission)





No comments:

Post a Comment