Monday, April 26, 2010

Statue of Liberty-y...



Happy earth week everyone! The air has been especially clean this week thanks to the rain we have had. For the first time I can remember in nyc, we had a lightning storm last night, and it was amazing. I missed the sound of thunder alot. I realized that is one of my favorite things about texas, when those sweet storms roll into town in the summer.
Speaking of summer, this week lacked any sort of relation to summer. In fact, after sprinting from winter to summer, we have fallen back through spring, and landed in a sort of wintery-springy mix. But thankfully we have a car this week.
In a break from my last 90 or so emails, Im going to jump right to the questions
Questions for Elder Thiot...


1. How are you? How was your week? im doing pretty darn good. I dont have to many complaints. With the rain we have had, i am defenitly glad to be in a car for the first time. the week was great. We are getting ready for a baptism this week of natalie, and she is soooo excited. Its really cool to be a part of. We had stake conference yesterday too, and it was pretty good. Since Queens had its stake conference 2 weeks ago, my last four sundays have been: Generalconference, stakeconference, sacrament meeting, stakeconfernce. Not that stake conferences arent great, but as a missionary they screw alot of stuff up for investigators, oh well.
2. How’s your new area, can you tell us what a day on Staten Island is like? its great. We typically roll out of bed around 630 and start getting ready for the day. personal studies then comp studies takes you to ten, when I study russian, and my comp studies english(Elder Kosaka's english is very good). Then we run out to the car and go look up less active families in the ward. After that we can run down to the ferry for some finding on the big boat. Only problem, most of the people are tourists. Then we go and cook lunch/dinner. After that run to teach some lessons, look up some referalls, and crash back at our apartment around 9ish. All in all, its a pretty sweet area.

3. Was Brother Boston able to make it to church on Sunday? He wasnt because of stake conference.

4. What miracle did you see this week? We were teaching a lesson with Natalie this week and after starting her grandma came down, and then after that her cousin came down. And then her uncle. At the end we were able to teach a room full of people who where interested. 4 of them made it to stake conference which was pretty sick.

5. I noticed you live on Railroad Ave, are there trains that go past? Yep, but they only run about every 30 minutes.

I hope that makes it so im not answering all the questions before i get to the questions part. If im doing some simple math right, which i might not be, I only have about 9 emails left, which is way scary. I cant even imagine how much im going to miss this area. At 1pm yesterday, I got a text message from Janet Sanon in Jamaica, and it made me realzie how awesome the mission is. I would have never meet such an amazing man. One of the best artist from Haiti, who lived in America for exactly 25 years to the day when he was baptized, and notes that being baptized into this church was the greatest thing to happen to him in America.

As we rode past the Statue of Liberty on the Staten Island Ferry on Saturday, it made me think about what those millions of people who came to ellis island must have been thinking when they saw that great statue. I love what it says on the statue.


"Give me your tired, your poor,Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


That same message is being callled out by Jesus Christ to all of his Children. New York City was the golden door for the past centuries, and it still is. I have meet with and taught people from 50 countries, and from every religious background imaginable. From Columbia to Egypt, from Russia to Uzbekistan, and from the Czech Republic to Haiti, this gospel is for everyone. How freaking lucky am i to come to the cross roads of the world. NYC has people living from every continent, speaking every language, all united in the fact we are sons and daughters of God. We allow ourselves to focus on our differences more then we should, while we should be focused on everything we have in common. Which makes all the difference in the world. It really makes you thankful to be a country that still remembers who our creator is. Everyone who lives in this country still handles money that says, "in God we trust". And as missionaries especially, if we cant trust in God, we cant trust in anything.

Love,
Elder tio

No comments:

Post a Comment