Monday, April 5, 2010

April on the Mission, Take Three

Skyler entering the MTC in April 2008

I cant even tell you how happy i am right now! I just found out the high for today is 70 degrees. Our zone is getting together to play ultimate frisbee in the park, and we just had conference. Could live getting any sweeter?
This week was amazing. Honestly i dont remember alot of what happened. On saturday though, life started to get great. The baptism for this week got pushed because there werent many members who could attend, but that would have been more sad if it wasnt for conference being so freaking sweet. We watched Saturday A.M. session(which actually starts in the PM here) at the chapel with 14 missionaries and about 10 members. That session was way good. Then we headed over to some Recent Converts in the ward, Mike, Reshma, and Ashley. They are the coolest family you could ever meet. They have BYU tv, so they invited us for for curry and roti and some conference. What a session that was. Im sure life everyone else I loved Elder Holland's talk, I freaking loved how he said, "el diablo" what a great man. I also loved D. Todd's talk on the Bible. It is amazing to hear how people died to give the book to the people who God wanted to have it in the first place. Because of them, we all have it.
After that we headed back to the church for Priesthood which was phenominal. Elder Rasband and Prez Eyring both had was good talks. Sunday morning we returned to the church for Easter Sunday, and after handing out flyers all week we had alot of people show up. The talks were way good. My favorite talk of conference came from Sunday, when Prez Dieter talked about being the hands of Christ. What a powerful message to all of us. Christ wants of embrace us, and he does that through the arms and hands of others. That talk probably spoke to me the most.
I also love how each talk with speek to different people differently. Janet loved Elder Hales' talk, even though his voice was enough to put me to sleep. Man, the church is true.
So today I realized this is my 3rd time to visit April as a missionary and it made me really glad that I went into the MTC in the spring and not the fall. Im defenitly a warm weather kid. This is glorrrious. I think the weather in upstate was probably similair to this on a spring morning back 190 years ago. I also realized im now the oldest cousin in the family who hasnt been married. Im still on my mission and the pressure is on.. sweet.. Otherwise life is good. I love being here, and after talking to pres nelson this week, it looks like elder merrill and I will be staying together for an unpresidented 4th transfer together. Once again, we have our fingers crossed, and Im pretty sure that is not even close to how you spell unpresidented. oh well.
I also wanted to share a cool story from the week. We got a call from a sister in the ward on tuesday night and she was freaking out about some scaffolding that had fallen down near her house. I could really understand what she was saying because dechyphering accents over the phone is an art that im not even close to mastering. so on wednesday morning we drove over to her house with 2 other elders who have a car and realized that some scaffolding had been partially blown over by a strong gust of wind. Our job was to pull down 3 stories of scaffolding with some rope, which, is like a dream come true for 4 20 year old boys. After five minutes, the whole things was on the ground. The only problem was that the whole thing almost fell on Elder Pape(pronounce POP), but no worries, he walked away un-injured.
Now for Q's and A's:

Questions for Elder Sky….
1. What did you think about General Conference? Why does it go by so very very fast? It was pretty freaking amazing, I loved hearing for the leaders of the Lord's church.
2. How was your week and how are you? Soo good. I have no complaints. I recieved a freaking sweet easter package on Friday, with the best easter tie I can ever remember. Its a beauty. the primary kids also loved the conference packets. we also had a good game of conference bingo going during sunday am
3. Did your Easter Package arrive in time for Easter? Yep, it was sick!
Thats so crazy about Lindsay Ence, that will be a sweet mission for her to go to for sure. I cant believe the girls my age are going on missions now, and the crazier part is, I'll be home before she leaves, thats nuts! I love y'all, and stay classy.
sly,
elder shiler thio

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT mission experience you are having Elder Sky! We are very proud of you. Keep working hard to the very end!

    ReplyDelete